Things I learnt about commuting

Last year I decided to commute to University and I learnt a few things along the way! (I also found the time to take many Snapchats and Instagram pictures).

Sheffield Station
  • RESERVE A SEAT
It means you have a gazillion more tickets than you really need but it pays off. Especially on those peak time trains. The only issue is on a busy train when an elderly lady is sitting in your reserved seat and you have to make the decision whether to be a good person with morals, or the bitch on the train..

  • EARLY STARTS & LATE FINISHES
Obviously this depends on where you are travelling to. I was travelling to Sheffield which took just under 2 hours each way. The majority of the time was just waiting at Leeds station for the next connection as I always just missed one. To get to Sheffield for 9am I had to leave the house at 7am and when I didn't finish a lecture until 6pm, I wouldn't get home until 8pm. Not ideal to say the least!
Pulling into Leeds station on an evening.
  • DELAYS
I think this is just a given when it comes to trains. Fortunately I was lucky enough to never be completely stranded or delayed by hours and hours as there were a few different trains I could get. In my experience the majority of delays came from issues with signalling or the heartbreaking instance of "person hit by train".. Either way, plan your journeys accordingly and always check before you travel!

Surprisingly, the trains ran smoothly on this snowy day!
  • COMPETITIVENESS
You start to get kind of competitive with other commuters; edging further on the platform as the train approaches to race for seats. The same goes for departing the train; people get really competitive about trying to exit the train first. I definitely joined this unique club and got strangely happy when I won.

Pulling into Leeds station, first person at the door, win!
  • BOOKS BECOME YOUR BEST FRIEND
I like to read but compared to my eldest sister, I'm basically illiterate...After I'd got through my iTunes playlists about 50 times everyday, twice a day, I started to get bored. As a result, I decided to ensure I always carried a book and yup, I became one of those people (those who are not bored..) who spent time on trains and in stations, buried in my book. I got through more books than I ever have done!

  • COLD STATIONS
Obviously this depends on the season and where in the world you are, but safe to say that in the North of England, it gets pretty cold, especially on those winter nights. Invest in a good, long coat and a decent scarf and pair of gloves. If you follow me on Snapchat (emkatied) you may have started to get sick of me constantly sending updates about the temperature at Leeds station whilst I waited in the cold..

  • IT'S ACCEPTABLE TO SLEEP ON TRAINS
Not going to lie, I could never comprehend how anyone could sleep on anything except a bed, but once you start on those early starts and late finishes, it becomes a fight to stay awake. By the time I was on the dreaded, busy, 8:11 Plymouth Cross Country train, I was easily drifting off whilst people stood in the crowded aisle next to me, with an umbrella point inches away from my face and a briefcase resting on my feet. 

One of the more brighter, 7am trains from Selby station

  • TIMETABLES
At this point, whenever we get stopped at the level crossing, I know exactly which train it is based on the time. Whilst I'm appalled at just how sad this is, it comes in very useful and you can avoid the level crossing to avoid getting held up!

  • GUARDS AND FELLOW COMMUTERS
As a result of travelling everyday, you start to recognise guards on trains and fellow commuters. Of course, you don't talk to these people, you all keep yourself to yourself, but it's bizarre how many people you do start to recognise not only on the trains themselves, but also at stations.

  • MAKING FRIENDS
Okay, not really friends, but there's always an occasion at some point where you end up befriending someone. On my travels, I got asked for my number by a lovely guy (sorry I panicked and said I had a boyfriend!); a screaming toddler sat next to me whilst his mum sat on the seat in front ignoring him; there's always a B.O ridden scruffy guy who ends up plonking down next to you at some point; and I've sat next to a polite monk who blessed his Salt and Vinegar crisps and Kit Kat and was knocking back wine at an impressive rate. He was may fave, for sure! 


The Flawed Blonde. xoxo


Don't forget to follow this blog, share or G+1 this post to reach a wider audience and add me on social media so we can stay in touch!

Twitter: EmKatieD
Facebook: The Flawed Blonde
Instagram: emmakatied
Snapchat: emkatied

Comments